Monday, March 19, 2012

The HUnger Games Take Two

This is my first time I am going to review a book a second time on this blog. I have re-read multiple books since I started this blog, but I am trying out an experiment. I am going to review and then I am going to look at the first review AND THEN compare the posts.  This IS GOING to contain spoilers.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


The Hunger Games Take Two.

This time around I was excited for certain moments in the book, such as: when Peeta says he has a crush on Katniss, the flaming dress, the first kiss, and the first time they get to see each other after the games.

When I knew Peeta was going to confess love, I couldn't read fast enough to get that page.  I have yet to decide if Peeta just decided to confess or if Haymitch realized Peeta loved her and told him to confess to help them out. But I paid more attention to Katniss's reaction. The way Collins describes her blush and the way she avoids eye contact - I just thought it was very sweet of the typical hard Katniss.

Second time around the feelings of dread. OMG.
First and most heartbreaking, the calling of Prim's name. I mean, I know Katniss goes in. I've read the book, but just the way Katniss feels and how she volunteers at tribute, really endears her to me and I think more so this time around because I know what she is going to go through. Katniss has moved up on my heroine list - I hate to say it - maybe more than Rose, but let's not get ahead of me.

Second, Rue. This time I really paid attention to Rue. I don't think I realized how instrumental Rue was in igniting Katniss's anger toward the Captiol. The flower F@CK you burial enraged me this time. That poor, pixie-like child and with that rage came my hatred toward the Captiol.

Third, I don't know why I didn't remember it, but when Peeta realizes that Katniss has been pretending the whole time. I was heartbroken for him, devastated. I don't think Katniss did it on purpose like she was deliberately toying with him. I do believe she really cares for him and I think could be falling for him, it was still heartbreaking. Oh and when they are just stepping off the train into District 12! Well, I am re-reading Catching Fire.

Gale - hm. He was not a big part of it for me this time. hm.

One thing that stood out more to me, the mockingjay and how they were part of Katniss's past, Rue and Katniss's relationship, and what the bird symbolizes to Katniss's character and the society.

OK - so I am going to go look at my other post and see what was different. Feel free to do the same.

PS Who is excited for this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment